The Intensive Dietary Management (IDM) Program is an online program available for participants who wish to receive dietary support and education based on the IDM Program’s philosophy Please note that the IDM Program only offers dietary counselling. We DO NOT offer any medical advice or supervision – only dietary advice. It is not legal to provide advice regarding medications, interpret blood tests, or other medical issues. Patients seen in the program will not be under the medical care of Dr. Jason Fung in any capacity. Your own physician is responsible to oversee your medications and blood work. A physician referral is not required for the program, but it is strongly advised to keep your physician advised of the dietary changes you are making.
How to Join
- Consult with your physician to keep him/her advised of dietary changes and arrange medical follow up as needed and instructions with regards to medications (this is recommended).
- Email us at [email protected] to arrange a 30-minute LDP consultation conducted online via Zoom. A link will be emailed to you 12 hours before your appointment. Just click the link provided and follow the instructions. If you decide to join the program, you will be provided with an access code to make the payment. Payment is only required after the consultation.
- We will email you a contract and informed consent. Please read carefully, sign, and email us back if you would like to join the program, along with payment.
- Follow-up appointments occur weekly, biweekly or monthly, depending on your fasting regimen and availability. Follow-up appointments are approximately 50-minutes long with 2 to 4 other long distance patients via Zoom. We believe strongly that this group counselling and peer support fosters an environment of mutual support and compliance.
How the Program Works
The IDM Program provides receive dietary and fasting counselling to help reverse your metabolic syndrome and lose weight.
- You will have an initial 30-minute consultation via Zoom.
- We will provide an introductory five hour (approximately) dietary workshop to teach you the basics of the Low Carbohydrate, High Fat (LCHF) diet and intermittent fasting. These are run on Fridays from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM EDT. We will discuss online resources available that will help you follow this diet and links to other resources.
- We will provide an individualized dietary prescription with regards to the fasting. Follow-up appointments are 50-minutes long and are run in group sessions for support. During these sessions, we will review your prescription as well as your food diaries to tailor the program to your specific needs.
- Follow-ups will take place weekly for the first month, and then biweekly or monthly for subsequent months.
Recommended Blood Tests (not required)
Your physician will decide which tests are necessary
Initial and Yearly: Lipid Panel, Fasting C-Peptide, Fasting Insulin, Vitamin B12, high sensitivity C-Reactive Protein (hsCRP)
Every Month: Complete blood count, fasting glucose, creatinine, uric acid, sodium, potassium, chloride, albumin/creatinine ratio (urine), urea, and bicarbonate.
Additional Tests Every 3 Months: Hemoglobin A1C (HbA1C), alanine transaminase (ALT), alkaline phosphatase (ALP), albumin, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium.
The cost for participants is $1000 Canadian Dollars + HST (our federal and provincial Harmonized Sales Tax – 13%) for 12 months participation in the IDM program. This fee includes: program materials, access to dietary workshops, and group dietary counselling sessions. A receipt will be provided.
The initial consultation fee of $45 (+HST) will be credited towards enrolment in the program.
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE NO REFUNDS FOR THE IDM PROGRAM.